March 14 marks an auspicious occasion in which the humble spud, in possibly its greatest form, is celebrated worldwide. No, we’re NOT joking … today is International Potato Chip Day 2018. And, in honour of this very special day, McCain Foods South Africa is giving you the “skinny” on everything related to the delicious and much-loved potato chip.
Did you know that almost 2.2 million tons of potatoes are produced annually in 16 geographical areas within South Africa, with the bulk of potatoes being harvested in the Western Free State and Limpopo? Just like not all things are created equal, not all potatoes are the same. There are many different potato cultivars (types) and each is for a different purpose. They have different textures, colours and flavours and this is how they are classified in terms of boiling, roasting, oven bake, mash or our favourite, frying.
And here’s a recipe, courtesy of McCain and especially in celebration of International Potato Chip Day!
Potato Chip Day Recipe: Chicken Cheese and Cranberry Disco Fries
- Oil for frying
- 20g Sliced onion
- 10g Butter
- 100g Chicken strips
- 5ml Tomato paste
- 5ml Paprika
- 200ml Chicken stock
- 5ml Flour
- 50g Fresh cranberries
- 200g Frozen McCain Crispy Oven Steakhouse Cut Chips
- 40g Cheddar cheese
- 60g Blue cheese or feta
- Fresh rosemary
- In a pan, fry the onions with the butter until translucent and soft.
- Then add the chicken, paprika and tomato paste. Allow to brown.
- Add chicken stock and flour to the pan. Stir until combined, allow to simmer until thickened for about 10 minutes.
- Add cranberries to the chicken, allow it to heat through.
Serve with McCain Crispy Oven Steakhouse Cut Chips
- Bake the frozen McCain Crispy Oven Steakhouse Cut Chips until golden as directed on pack.
- Once baked, place chips into a serving dish. Pour the chicken strips in gravy over, then add cheddar to the chips and melt under the grill.
- Finish off with some crumbled blue cheese or feta and a sprinkle of rosemary.